Saturday 17 October 2015

Portfolio Update - September 2015

It's been along time since I wrote a post, owing to the long vacation I took in September to October. I have not updated my portfolio so here's an up to date version.

*As of 17 October 2015

Counter No of Shares Average Price Amount Paid Yield on cost(%) Weightage
Croesus Retail Trust
10,000
0.9207
9,207.00
7.43
61.93%
OCBC Bank
300
9.09
2,726.86
4.00
18.36%
UOB Bank
100
18.99
1,899.51
4.00
10.85%
Accordia Golf Trust
1,500
0.61533
925.19
8.91
6.22%
Neratel
300
0.585
175.92
6.84
1.18%
Ascendas Hospitality
100
0.6175
61.90
8.29
0.35%
Cache Logistics
300
0.9924
297.71
8.20
1.70%
Mapletree Logistics
100
0.9974
99.74
7.40
0.57%
IREIT Global
200
0.6465
129.31
9.55
0.74%
CapitaCommerical
100
1.325
132.81
6.15
0.76%
Asian Pay TV Trust
100
0.81
81.19
10.18
0.55%
Soilbuild Business REIT
100
0.8025
80.44
8.05
0.46%
STI ETF
400
2.99
1,197.00
3.00
8.05%
Total


17,504.05
6.25
100.00%

Total Invested Capital = $17,504.05

Total Expected Dividends/month = $91.17

Average Dividend Yield = 6.25%

The month of September was another opportunity for me to add more stocks to my portfolio. The expectation that September was the month when the Fed would finally raise interest rates has led to further turmoil to an already torrid period for stocks. This was the month which I expected to pick many interest rate sensitive stocks on the cheap, particularly the REITs.

Observant readers would have noticed that I have added smallish positions in REITs with juicy dividends like Cache Logistics, IREIT Global and Mapletree Logistics into my SCB micro-portfolio. In addition, I have added some UOB shares. I would have further increased my positions in these counters and more if not for the SCB platform failing to log on while I was enjoying my vacation overseas. When I finally returned to Singapore and got the log on issues rectified, the market had rebounded. And yes, the crash in the STI coincided with my holiday and it always seemed like markets crashes during the times I decide to go on a holiday. Maybe anyone can simply wait for me to go for a vacation so that they can start to pick up stocks haha

In other news, I had pared positions in Soilbuild Biz REIT, Ascendas Hospitality and Capitaland Commerical Trust owing to the run up in share prices. The market, however, continued to surge forward and now the decision to divest them was regrettable, but that is completely on hindsight. On the bright side, I have chosen to divest only half of my smallish positions in these counters and the run up still benefited my micro-portfolio, albeit a teeny weeny bit as compared to my past profits. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am hopeful to see this portfolio grow from micro to regular status soon as I continue to accumulate more shares. My accumulation of shares has taken a break at this moment, as prices had already run up due to the reduced expectation of interest rate hikes for this year. I do not know if markets may present another opportunity this year, but I would be more than happy to add more when it happens.

In other news, Croesus Retail Trust has announced rights, 22 shares for every 100 shares owned, due to the proposed acquisition of a Japanese suburban mall. The acquisition would most likely be only slightly beneficial, but I would not be complaining because the Croesus Management chose to consider rights instead of private placement, which the latter would be undesirable for existing unitholders like ourselves. I would be subscribing for the rights and applying for excess rights wherever possible to further reduce my average purchase price. However, I expect interest in Croesus rights to be on the high side, so I don't have much expectations for getting any excess rights. So I may even consider increasing my position in the mother shares should prices become even more attractive, as I believe that current prices are already attractive. However, I expect the rights to have a depressive effect on the mother shares for some time, so I would consider increasing my positions only after the rights exercise is completed.

On the STI ETF front, no shares were purchased as the market failed to hit the next price level which would trigger my next round of purchases, even though the market made a new low in September.

For the next few months to end year, it is generally a stronger period seasonally, as history has proven it, look at what happened during the Euro crisis of 2011, and even during the depths of the GFC of 2008, markets consolidated or even went higher as compared to the September-October period. So I expect to see some consolidation for the next 3 months, assuming no further bad news were to rear it ugly head to cause markets to go lower. Safe time to enter now? I wouldn't dare to put my money to back my words, given the still poor economic backdrop, but if you have a long term horizon, we should not be bothered about short term volatility.

At the moment, I have about close to $20k invested in the market. My warchest is still rather sizeable, even after accounting for the vacation expenses. I would put the amount of money vested in the market roughly close to a comfortable 40%, while 60% remain in the warchest.

Let just sit back and watch how the show unfolds.

2 comments:

  1. % wise u seem too heavy on CRT
    Doesnt seem to wise to put over half your portfolio on one stock
    If your capital is limited why dont invest in ETF like the STI to diversify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the concern Felix! Indeed I am very heavily vested into CRT right now, and it is likely to be higher in the coming weeks as I would be subscribing for the rights exercise. I am looking to address the issue but at the moment, it is not wise to sell off my position as I still believe in the company fundamentals. I may consider selling a partial stake if the price is right. As for STI ETF, I do have some portion of cash invested in STI ETF, albeit a small amount compared to CRT. However, unless the price of the STI ETF reaches my next target price, I would not be buying any more STI ETF.

      Delete